Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Case of the Mondays


Let’s go back two weeks to that first Monday. I woke up and remembered that I didn’t have to go into the office for a year. I’d rehearsed this scene in my head a thousand times. I was going to be like the guy in Office Space, where he gleefully turns off his alarm and snoozes away the day. But I knew it wouldn’t play out like that. Whenever I have extended time off, it takes me about two weeks to relax. Which usually means I unwind a day or two before I have to go back to work.

I had a backlog of errands I didn’t have time to run while I was working. So, I got up at my normal time, and I:

  • Renewed my driver’s license at the DMV
  • Scored a residential parking permit at the SFMTA
  • Washed my car
  • Sorted out clothes to give to Goodwill
  • Went to the grocery store
  • Got a library card

Now, I’ve worked for years at a company whose primary mission is to cure cancer, and I can’t recall the last time I felt such a supreme sense of accomplishment.
Just visiting the San Francisco DMV and Municipal Transportation Agency in the same day warranted my taking the rest of the week off.

No comments:

Post a Comment