Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A writer's best friend, part II: Hannah


42,000 words. I did more reading last week than writing. I also thought a lot about my plot. I'm having difficulty coming up with a plausible way for two of my point-of-view characters to come together. Some writing books suggest that if you're having trouble with a character, just kill him or her. That will solve your pesky problem -- and generate a new plot twist. But I'm not ready to sacrifice this person just yet.

Thanks for all the great topic suggestions. I'll write about some of them over the next few weeks. In the meantime, I thought I'd give an update on everyone's favorite topic, Chester.

The only thing that could stand between Chester and his tennis ball is our cat, Hannah. Hannah spends her entire existence tracking the warm rectangle of light on the carpet as the sun moves, window to window, throughout the day. Save for her inexplicable bursts of energy from 4:00 to 4:11 a.m. daily, she only gets up to move to a new sun spot or to alert me when her food bowl is empty.

It's a nice life. Still, Hannah is very, very angry. And Chester is deathly afraid of her.

Hannah kept stealing Chester's bed, leaving him to spend the night on the cold hardwood floor, which is bad for his hips. So, we got Hannah her own cat-sized bed. Here is the result:

3 comments:

  1. HA! I say scrap your whole silly biotech thriller and go for a relationship/self-help book styled on hannah's badass attitude! I bet you'd get on Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope that Chester and Hannah make it to the credits page of the book. They are, after all, two of your biggest fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop reading this entry. Everytime I need a pick-me-up I return to it. Not many things will rouse a hearty belly laugh out of me and this is one of them. As Amy would put it --she was rescued from the streets!

    ReplyDelete