Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Other Humans


I’m now 11 weeks into my writing adventure. Eleven weeks is roughly the length of a college academic quarter. I’m convinced I’ve learned more about writing – and the writing lifestyle -- than I ever could in a quarter’s worth of classes. But classes have other humans in them, and lately I’ve become acutely aware of my dearth of human interaction during the weekdays. So I signed up for a class at The Writing Salon. It’s a class full of other people who are trying to write a novel so, if anything, I’ll get to meet other folks who are going through what I’m going through. But the class doesn't start for a month, so until then I’ll have to keep plugging away at my draft and reading how-to books.

I’ve also been looking into co-working. Co-working spaces, according to this NYT article, first appeared in the bay area three years ago. They are a cross between home, work and Internet-equipped cafe. They are based on the realization that while avoiding an office is liberating, it’s also energizing to have a place to go where other people are working -- and not, say, napping. Problem is, all the co-working places in San Francisco are way across town, and adding a lengthy commute to my life sort of contradicts what I’m trying to do here. But I still plan to check out one or two co-working spaces this week.

In the meantime, I’ve been hitting up more libraries and cafes. Speaking of cafes, I’m writing this in Starbucks and I think I just saw Lou Ferrigno. Seriously. The Incredible Hulk just ordered a latte. The magic happens when I leave my apartment.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of David Banner, do you ever get so frustrated with what you are trying to write that you "Hulk Out"? Will your characters run into any dangerous situations in the book? Being hit with a blast of steam in the face while trying to turn off the nuclear reactor that is melting down? Attempting to turn off the boiling hot water for the waxmaker, only to have the faucet break off in his hand and scald him, and then inexplicably slipping and rolling around in same boiling hot water? Being trampled by a crowd AND having the hot coffee spilled on his hand while trying to get to the sniper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great... I forgot about the Hulk Out List:
    www.kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

    One my favorites is #95:

    Falling out of a plane without a parachute, then being given a parachute (which causes the person who pushed him to be told "That guy has nine lives", to which the mean person responds by pulling out a rifle and saying "Yeah, but I
    got ten rounds"), and then having the straps to his parachute shot off when he is still 30 feet above an empty house so that he falls through the roof and hurts himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I figured you might be going down this path after your posts about talking to Chester! As a fellow work-from-homer, I understand the effects that lack of human contact can have on one’s psyche. I have been known to great the postman at the front door when I hear him coming just so I have someone to say hello to! (I don’t have a “Chester” to chat with…but after reading your post, I might just have to think of getting one.)

    Am enjoying reading your blog Brain…good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete