Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Historic Day


Today is an historic day. Yes, there's that little election going on. But it's also the day I completed my first draft!
Six months after starting this odyssey, I've reached my goal of 80,000 words. 
In book format it'd probably be around 325 pages.

Don't get too excited. This draft is ROUGH. I have a ton of work ahead of me. Last week I rewrote and polished ten pages to submit to my writing group, and it took DAYS. But I've at least made an attempt to write each scene. I was going to toil around until Thanksgiving before calling it a draft, but I found myself slipping into rewriting mode, so this is as good a stopping point as any.

Now what?

Now, I ignore it. In order to reread my draft with a fresh perspective, I need to distance myself from it. Some writers put a draft aside for months, even years, before returning to it. I don't have that kind of time, so I'm going to give myself a few weeks. This isn't a vacation. I'm not going to stop writing. During this hiatus, I plan to work on a few short stories and conduct some of the research I neglected while stampeding along on my draft.

To tell you the truth, I was getting kind of sick of my book; I can't wait to work on some other writing pieces.

Now is also a perfect time to thank all the loyal Leafblower readers for your continued support. Your thoughtful comments and words of encouragement mean a lot to me. Special thanks to my family, the Mason family, Chester and Hannah, and to Amy, of course.


8 comments:

  1. There is just something about "to Amy, of course" that has a ring to it! I would fully embrace it as the perfect book dedication. Congratulations on 80k. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats bro. sounds like you are getting things done. keep it up and dont forget about the little people when you make it big...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you give tribute to Hannah in the final draft. Sorry to have heard about her passing. She seemed to have been an excellent companion during the race to 80,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the 80K !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Brian, that is a huge accomplishment! I can't wait to walk into Barnes and Noble and see your book on the new Best Sellers shelf. :) Did you know I've always wanted to write a children's book?? More so, I would think of the plot and SOMEONE ELSE would write it! Maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats my friend. You have done well. A momentous occasion indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey! i am so impressed, and a little envious. i really admire your dedication, and i am going to try to follow your lead with a similar goal of my own. good job!

    ReplyDelete