Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2nd Draft is Done


I finished my second draft! This feels like a more significant accomplishment than completing my first draft. I now have a manuscript that reads all the way through; I can officially say that I’ve written a novel.

So, what’s next? I’m taking a week off to gain some distance from my story, then I’ll read my manuscript all the way through for the first time. Next, I'll start on the third draft, for which I may enlist some outside editorial help.

It’s the perfect time to take a week off. On Thursday I leave for a research trip to Mexico. The majority of my narrative takes place in Mexico, and I want to get some of the details right – the sights and sounds and smells of the places I’ve conjured in my head. I’m sure I’ll have a lot to write about next week.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Brian!!!! Enjoy your reserch trip to Mex...hope you are able to swing over to Zihauat while you are down there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! i watched Wonder Boys in your honor this weekend. Couldn't decide which character was more like you. eventually i came to what should have been the obvious conclusion: Vernon Hardapple. The HoodJumper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats man! You deserve a big Mexico vacation.

    ReplyDelete