Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Big Day, Big Year

Amy and I got engaged on Friday! I picked her up from work, and with Chester in tow we headed to Fort Funston, a coastal wonderland of eroding sea cliffs, sand dunes and ice plant. It was one of those rare San Francisco miracles when there was no wind on the beach, and, although the sand was cool and it was twelve degrees in the shade, as long as you stayed in the path of the low sun, it felt like summer in San Diego.

Dogs of all shapes and colors were playing in the lazy whitewater, and the sun was setting as I got down on one knee and asked Amy to be my wife. Chester did his part by nudging his wet, sandy tennis ball against my bended knee.

Later, we went out for a fantastic steak dinner where we were treated like celebrities – literally. After dinner these two young English boys came up and insisted I was a famous gymnast. Our server intervened, and I swear she said the boys thought I was a famous gymnast who also happened to be named Brian Crawford, which seemed an extremely unlikely coincidence, but not much weirder than mistaking a six-foot-three skinny guy for any famous gymnast, and anyway we'd had a lot of wine, so I couldn't be sure. Nonetheless, I gave each kid my autograph and said, "keep practicing."

So 2009 is shaping up to be a huge year. We plan on getting married in August or September, so I can add a wedding to my list of big events, along with finishing my book, and getting a real job!

8 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to be your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian -- I'm so happy for you & congrats on a wonderful year
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mason canines, Corky and Sadie, send you slobbery kisses and wish you Mazel Tov on your engagement! (And please, don't schedule your nuptials for October 3rd...that's the big day for Deb and Steve.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I'm happy for you and Amy. I'm not sure which is more exciting, getting engaged, or being mistaken for a famous gymnast...you're soooo lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Brian the Crawford! I'm very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6' 3" thats pushing it bro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Brian and Amy!

    ReplyDelete