Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What are you reading?


Right now I'm reading The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. After Erica referenced the novel on my blog, I realized I had it on my shelf; it was one of many books I scored for a dollar at the Friends of the SFPL Annual Big Book Sale. I've gone through a string of mediocre novels lately -- I didn't even finish the last three I started -- so Pearl's ingenious novel is all the more refreshing. I have nothing against mainstream fiction (after all, that's what I'm writing), but if you want to know the difference between a "literary" mystery and a "genre" mystery, read The Dante Club, and then pick up something by James Patterson.

Sure, Pearl skated summa cum through Harvard and Yale, and he won a prestigious prize for his thesis on Dante, but that doesn't automatically mean he can write fiction. And boy can he write fiction. The Dante Club is one of those auspicious debuts that simultaneously reignite my passion for writing -- and make me want to give it up for good.

So, that's what I'm reading.
What are YOU reading? And would you recommend it?

4 comments:

  1. I am reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. I love this book. The beginning chapter is a bit slow, but the rest is awesome. Highly reccomend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that there is a Hell, Michigan? Interesting place. I would suggest reading all that you can because once you have kids....things change (but for the better).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm re-reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. I fell in love with the book some years ago, and found it again while filtering books to post up on thepaperbookswap.com.

    It's one of my favorite books, so of course I want to recommend it, but its rather quirky and fantastic, so I'm hesitant at the same time.

    Hopefully it will be as good as I remember :)

    ReplyDelete