Monday, October 19, 2009

Published! (?)


It's a monumental event in my writing career: I had a story accepted for publication! Don't get too excited (though I certainly did); the story is only twenty-one words long. As I mentioned in this post, I submitted to Robert Swartwood's Hint Fiction Anthology, which will be published next year by W.W. Norton & Company. Out of over 2500 submissions, my story was selected to be among 125 in the book. The coolest part is I will share the pages with some big-name authors, from Joyce Carol Oates to Peter Straub. I mean, you could read JCO's story and turn the page and see Brian Crawford (perhaps the editor will go in chronological order but for some reason use JCO's middle name, and Crawford will be next; or maybe he'll group all the dark stories together, and since my story is dark and JCO's is bound to be -- she wrote Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? for God's sake -- we will be forever linked. 

What's more, I get paid for it. Twenty-five bucks. Not bad, more than a dollar a word. Now, if I could just get that rate for Double-blind, I'd have seventy grand.

Also, check out this MSNBC video about the anthology... Robert comes on toward the end. 




13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well deserved.

    Signed,

    The wife of a published writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'm so proud of you Brian! I'm going to start introducing you as my author friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Bri!

    Signed, the mother of a published writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be posting your hint fiction here for The Leaf Blower readers to get a sneak peek?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce Carole Oats: You never know when shes right behind you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, Brian. Update your CV: published author of 21-word tome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

    nimarii, I can't share the story here because I sold first pub rights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic news - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Only a matter of time
    before I see you as the lead BC on Wikipedia instead of Brian Crawford, the retired Scottish football striker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! that is very cool. congratulations. you've worked hard for it.

    Lucero

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am way late to comment on this but all the same, congratulations! very awesome. anything i would have said about joyce carol oats has already been said. most fittingly by smc.

    ReplyDelete