Tuesday, October 13, 2009

WWDDD?

I've officially started rewriting my manuscript (based on the editor's feedback). I have a ton of work to do, so I'm trying to focus on one piece at a time and not get overwhelmed.


My most weighty task is to reinvent my main character. Beginning writers often try too hard to make their hero likable. Newbies think they need to make the protagonist morally above everyone around him. This doesn't make the hero likable; it makes him boring. I am guilty of this with the lead character of Double-blind. There are interesting -- and often horrifying -- things going on all around him, but my protagonist often slips into the role of a decent, even-keeled, passive observer. Who wants to read about some passive goody two-shoes?

Take Don Draper from the TV show Mad Men. He repeatedly cheats on his wife. He neglects his kids. He lies to everyone. He's mean to his employees. He drinks and smokes too much. But we all root for him. We all love him. I mean, my wife really loves him.

So, as I'm revamping my character, I shouldn't be asking myself what I would do. What would Don Draper do?

7 comments:

  1. Don Draper is hot. Love that he speaks softly but is so intense, mysterious and powerful. Somehow despite all his major flaws, he is still desirable. yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with anonymous. Don Draper should play Ethan when your book is made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just go with... "what would Moeller do!?!" That should give you enough gasoline for the fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most importantly you need to ask yourself... What would Chuck Norris do? Chances are he would round-house kick something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep looking at your blog so i can see don draper's photo. mmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point, Moeller. For better or worse, many interesting stories have started that very way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Case in point... the anonymous comments. People want to watch (and read about) characters like Don Draper, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete