Monday, March 22, 2010

My book is DONE!



I finished my novel on Sunday! Two years and 7,421 revisions later, I'm done with Double-blind. And I met my deadline of March 21st.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about adding some scenes, and/or hiring another editor to review the manuscript. But I decided that the narrative flows well as is, and I have all the scenes I need. I don't want to add anything just for the sake of hitting a word quota.

And I'm not going to hire a copy editor -- unless I decide later to self-publish. Over the past week, my wife (thanks Amy) and I each read through the manscript again and found very few errors. I could keep tweaking it forever, of course, but I want to move on. If I am fortunate enough to secure an agent or publisher who wants me to revise further, no problem.

The world of Ethan Cole in Mexico City has been exciting, and I'll surely miss it. But I've overstayed my welcome. It's so refreshing to leave it behind. And I'm leaving it in a good place. After reading through the whole book again, you know what? I like it. It's a pretty darn good story -- for a first attempt, at least.

Now, I can't wait to work on something new. But before I do that, I have another major step. It's time to research potential agents and start querying to solicit interest in my novel. But that's for another day, another blog post. Just for a while, I want to enjoy that rarest of feelings for a writer -- a sense of completion.

13 comments:

  1. Thats great bro!!! Now all you have to do is finish the CliffsNotes so I can finally read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What a HUGE accomplishment! Your work ethic througout writing this book never ceased to amaze me. I am so proud of you! Now about that dedication...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groovy man:) Any sample chapters available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry...I accidentally clicked the post button twice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read the book. How can I go about doing just that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful feeling of satisfaction it must be for you to have completed your first novel. I look forward to what is certain to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, you are amazing. I cannot wait to read it! I need to meet you and Amy for a congratulatory toast before you become too famous to remember me. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Brian! We are really proud of you! What an accomplishment! You didn't even need Dad to proof read it.

    Love,

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I can't write to read your final manuscript. Thanks for inspiring me to keep working on mine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are belated congratulations.

    You once commented nicely to a thread of ours, and as I was browsing some old links, I found it, only to discover that you've just finished your MS! Congratulations and best of luck with the agent hunt!!! My first MS took a year longer than yours, so you're a relative jackrabbit : )

    ReplyDelete