Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Page Critique Mondays!



As if I didn't have enough reasons to procrastinate on Monday mornings, now there's Page Critique Mondays! Check it out on Nathan Bransford's hugely popular blog. Nathan is a San Francisco literary agent, blogger, author, and overall superhuman -- I don't know how he has time to sleep.
The first person to post a 250 word excerpt from their novel into the comments section gets a critique from Nathan -- and the rest of the world. It's educational to see real-life examples of what agents actually look for. It's fun to see what other people are writing, and what other people think about what other people are writing. And there's the train wreck factor, too: since it's first come, first served -- usually there's a filtering process for such things -- the potential for "interesting" writing is high.
So, would I ever submit my work? I don't think so. It would be great to get an agent's critique, but I'd prefer it to be a little less... public.

2 comments:

  1. Nathan's stuff is definitely rad, but he updates his site so much it's truly a wonder that he has time for anything else:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should put yourself out there! Push yourself out of your comfort zone. You're a writer and need to be prepared for criticism and critique--it'll help you learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete