Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What's the longest book you've ever read?


As I rework my book on Lulu, I've been playing with the font and spacing. It's such a long document that minute adjustments can change the page count dramatially. Reminds me of those papers in college when you'd kick the font up to like 14 and put in two-inch margins just to meet your page quota.

But even when I adjust the font and spacing to near-comic book proportions, my novel doesn't stretch much longer than 500 pages.

This got me thinking about some of the longest books I've ever read. Stephen King's The Stand (1153 pages) comes to mind. But after listening to this podcast, the book came back to me, and you know what? -- I'm not sure I ever finished it. But I did finish It, Stephen King's second-longest novel at 1138 pages.

So, what's the longest book you've ever read? And by longest, I mean the most pages, or the one that took you the longest to get through.

10 comments:

  1. Not sure on all the page lengths, but I finished The Stand, the unabridged Les Miserables, several of Dickens' doorstoppers, and Uncle Tom's Cabin in sixth grade. I never did finish It. It scared me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny...when I saw your headline I thought of the Stand which I did finish. Good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, clocking in at 1079 pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atlas Shrugged - 1,200 pages, but I've read several that felt longer. Apparently if I purchased it from Lulu it would have been half that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think fountainhead is longest i've read, but I don't know how many pages. good book. a prayer for owen meany was pretty long too, but that may have been due to its small font.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pre-calculus teacher's manual. 1000+ pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One Hundred Years of Solitude felt like it was 1,000 pages long. I couldn’t finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you seen that they are raging against leaf blower in Orinda?
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/incontracosta/detail?entry_id=64232&tsp=1

    ReplyDelete