Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Art of Querying (in the Rain)




Still querying agents, still racking up rejections. But... I just got my most promising response yet. Another agent asked for a partial manuscript, saying my novel sounded "right up his alley." Woo hoo!

Meanwhile, one of the agencies I queried has posted on its website an example of a successful query letter. And it just so happens the letter was for a book I've recently started reading. It's The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. My wife raved about this book, and I can already tell I'm going to love it, too.

So, what does a successful query letter look like? The agency, Folio Literary Management, posted Garth's letter along with the agent's commentary.

Now, Garth's letter isn't all that different from mine, except that I haven't published any previous books, haven't won any prestigious awards, and I don't already have an agent. Oh, and my plot isn't nearly as interesting. Wait, maybe I could have a dog narrate Double-blind...

2 comments:

  1. Did you notice that the agency, after talking about the importance of proper punctuation and quality writing, totally had a careless typo in their own comments? I'm not ordinarily a grammar Nazi, but I think if you're gonna preach it, you should probably practice it. (Yeah. I totally said "gonna". I'm feeling grammatically defiant at the moment.)

    And congrats on the successful query!

    ReplyDelete